Welcome

Welcome to my blog page: Vita--the life we lead. This is nothing too fancy, just a log of what is occurring in the life of Joseph. Sometimes there will be fun, interactive posts, and other times it will be a boring post about what I'm thinking about. In either case, enjoy. Laugh with me, write me comments, and have a blasty blast. (Also, view my "About Me" at the bottom of the page.)



Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Perfect "Son" Set

Greg from work told me a joke once: What do you call a pair of twin boys? Answer: A "son" set. I loved that. And yesterday morning at 9:42am, I saw the perfect "son" set.

Katie and I headed to Swedish/Edmonds Hospital around 7:30am. We got Katie all prepped and ready to go as both our parents were standing by. In addition were our siblings and cousins. A semi-small crowd considering the size of our families, but only because it was during work hours. We knew the onslaught was coming. :)

At around 9:10am, Katie was in the operating room as Kris and I stayed outside the doors waiting for the anesthesiologist (Dr. Miller) to numb Katie. When she was all set, Kris and I entered the room (along with my mom the nurse, who was already in the room--my mom works on the delivery room floor). The moment had come. We greeted Dr. Catherine Rogers, our primary delivery doctor who has been amazing for the past 9 months. In addition was the doctor's assistant, Dr. Dickey. Also in the room was our nurse for the day, Amber, along with a nurse passing out the equipment. And finally, our new pediatrician Dr. Joe Skariah was also in the room.

Dr. Rogers started the incision, and we were ready to go. Katie was a trooper the whole way. All smiles and excitement. Finally, at 9:41am, Baby A entered the world. Katie and I were in complete tears as my mom took pictures and Kris videotaped. They took him away and prepared for Baby B. Baby B came at 9:42am. Again, all tears! Both babies were crying in harmony. They did all the diagnostics, and both babies were wonderful. Baby A was 6 lb. 2 oz. and 20" long. Baby B was 6 lb. 4 oz. and 19" long. Everyone was amazed how well Katie carried 12 1/2 pounds in her womb and never once was put on bed rest. In fact, she was cleaning the house the night before. What an amazing woman I married!

I then got to hold my children for the first time. I first held Declan as he was all dressed and ready. :) Then the nurse handed me Ethan as well as I got to hold both babies at once. I brought them over to Katie as we just soaked up the miracles that Jesus brought us. Then the new grandmothers got to hold them and enjoy (my mom's 3rd and 4th grandchildren, and Kris' 1st and 2nd).

After Katie was all stitched up, they wheeled her down the hall to our room, but not before we ran into our wonderful family who was full of excitement, joy, tears, and happiness. As we got to our room, we talked with the doctor and nurses. In the background was hanging a big sign that Kris had made and that we hung up earlier in the day which simply said: "Hanchinamunchkins". In addition, the night before, Kris and Katie made party favors and got "champagne" (sparkling cider) glass for all the nurses and family there. I know, they would! :) A perfect touch. We called our moms back in with the nurses/doctors as Katie tried to breastfeed for the first time. And it was then that we FINALLY announced the names to everyone's pleasure.

And the moment came finally when we let our family and friends in and announced the names. We gave the name for Baby A (the first baby out), Declan James Hanchinamani. Declan means full of goodness. James is a follower of Christ. Our Bible verse for him is James 3:17-18. We gave the name for Baby B, Ethan Emery Hanchinamani. Ethan means strong and firm. Emery means brave and powerful. Emery is also a family name (Kris' maiden name, Grandpa Marion's middle name, and my brother-in-law, Kristian's, middle name). The name Ethan appears in the Bible 8 times. He authored Psalm 89. Psalm 89: 1-2 happens to be our verse for him.

A few things I will never forget as being a father for the first time:
1. Seeing both my boys for the very first time
2. HEARING both my boys for the very first time
3. Ethan grabbing and holding onto my finger
4. Both boys crying and then instantly stopping when they heard my voice
5. Changing Declan's diaper for the first time
6. Swaddling both for the first time

I will also never forget how strong and wonderful my wife was. Katie is full of strength. Her love for our children is fun to watch. As they try and learn to breastfeed, it's amazing to see that bond. Something I will never forget either.

And without further adieu, pictures of our first day can be seen on my Facebook page in the album entitled "Declan and Ethan - Day 1." Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. so sweet, joey. thanks for blogging so soon ... i really wanted to hear your story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, this is an amazing story and it will be such a great memory in the future. Your boys are so handsome and I'm so proud of you and Katie. You have both been so strong since the beginning and have been blessed with these two boys. I'm excited to continue reading this story as time goes on. And yes, I will spoil your boys :) hey, as an uncle it's my job :) congratulations to you and Katie, and the Hanchinamani / Watkins families!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible, loving God we serve!!! 2 perfect blessings for 2 of His followers! Love all 4 of you and can't wait to share this adventure with you guys!

    Love-Ryan, Emily, Evie & Ella

    ReplyDelete